Firstly, a wonderful 2013 from everyone in the ammado offices around the world!
One of your New Year resolutions might be to give your company’s CSR a fresh and modern approach. We are happy to offer you all the tools that you need to make your donation campaigns easy to manage and fun for your employees to use.
Therefore, the first things on our list for 2013 are....
So far, companies had to get a personal invitation from someone in ammado to be able to create their personalized Giving Page. In our end-of-January release we will now allow companies to simply go to our website and sign up themselves. Most of our companies are multinationals from around the world and as we are eager to keep this high-quality environment, we will still need to approve every single company that signs up, but at least companies will be able to start fundraising straight away. This is especially crucial in times of disaster where companies want to start fundraising without any delay. If you don’t have a company profile on ammado yet and don’t want to wait for the next release, send me an email and I will get you an invitation (Having a company Giving Page on ammado is free! Our only charge is a small transaction fee per donation which is carried by the nonprofit and which can be later subsidized by the company by means of an incremental donation if they choose to do so ).
New Company Giving Pages
Good news for those who already have a Giving Page on ammado: we are in the middle of a major refresh and the next release will lead to greatly enhanced Giving Pages where you have everything in one place! The first version will be released end of January with enhancements continuously being deployed over the coming months. This means that you can still embed your customized Giving Widget in your own online environment like your company intranet and accept donations right there and then; but you will also be able to lead employees directly to your Giving Page on ammado which will also display your customized Giving Widget. The Giving Widget was now optimized for mobile phones, iPads etc., so it will appear slightly different from the one you are accustomed to. The one thing that doesn't change though is that you can still securely collect donations in 78 currencies and almost every payment method from your employees around the world and get great, comprehensive reports – in fact, our reporting feature will also be significantly optimized in the coming months.
Customized Giving Widget
Our signature technology is still our ‘magic’ Giving Widget which is stable, secure and easy to use like no other donation technology that we are aware of. After all – the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies are using it for all their online donations on their website (www.ifrc.org), what better testimonial could there be? But of course the Giving Widget is not only for nonprofits. It is also a powerful tool for companies and is really the only donation tool that you need. Everything else that we offer in ammado orbits around the Giving Widget and its powerful functionality. Once you have a company Giving Page on ammado, you also have your own Giving Widget, customized with your name. You can further change size, color etc. and of course also campaigns in your Giving Widget. You can e.g. tell us that you only wish to collect donations for certain nonprofits, for a specific company campaign, only for nonprofits in certain countries etc. – the flexibility of the Giving Widget is endless. Send me a quick email if you need my help in customizing your Giving Widget and I’ll be more than happy to assist you.
In my February letter I will update you on our new and exciting “ammado events” site and how you can avail of it, how our partnerships with Truist and YourCause are progressing and what we do to empower you to offer instant and global disaster relief solutions if required.
I wish us all an amazing 2013 with the aim that our combined and passionate CSR efforts will help to put smiles on faces around the world and hope into the hearts of those who are in need of it!
ammado has developed a special type of fundraising technology that facilitates the quick set-up and easy management of global fundraising campaigns, which enable tax-efficient donations. This solution, developed in conjunction with leading aid agencies, represents an important innovation for companies and nonprofits operating cross-boarder.
While tax regulations vary from country to country, the general rule is that if a tax-payer is to receive some form of tax-benefit from their donation, they must donate to a charity that is registered in the country where they pay tax. Let's take the example then of multinational company, headquartered in Germany, who wishes to raise funds a water project in Africa in partnership with Save the Children. If the company choses the Save the Children Germany as the beneficiary of this fundraising campaign, German employees will be able to donate tax-efficiently, but their colleagues in the rest of the world will be donating to a charity registered in a country abroad and so will not be able to make tax-efficient donations.
With ammado's technology, companies and nonprofits can create a global fundraising campaign within minutes. Set up is quick and easy - the company sets up a fundraising page and selects each of the nonprofits that are participating in the campaign. Despite multiple beneficiaries, there is only one campagin and one destination providing employees globally with the same donation experience.
Employees will be able to donate in 78 currencies and 12 languages, using all major and many local payment methods. The technology will recognise the location of the donor and adjust automatically, displaying the most relevant currency and language. The employee's donation will also benefit the most relevant nonprofit in the campaign. For example a Japanese employee will be presented with the donation experience in Japanese, with YEN as the chosen currency, with the most relevant payment methods displayed first and their donation will be routed through Save the Children to the company's "Water for Africa" project. Donors can change any of these details if they wish.
ammado can automate the tax-receipts, sending donors who request one a receipt on behalf of the nonprofit. Donations are all tracked and companies have access to online reports and live fundraising totals. Although donations flow all over the world the campaign is managed through one system and donations are presented to the company in one consolidated report. The company can filter the report to gain various insights, like how much has been raised per country.
The process is illustrated below:
World Fundraisers are useful for raising funds for multiple local nonprofits as well as the national socities of large international NGOs. This case study shows how Societe Generale's charity Asia Bike Ride used ammado's World Fundraisers to raise almost €100,000 for their local nonprofit partners in 7 countries across Asia in 2012.
1. Companies and nonprofits can share the URL of their fundraising page with donors, directing them to ammado to make their donation
2. Companies and nonprofits can easily embed the ammado Giving Widget on their intranet, website or other web presence
Please note: not all entities on ammado are enabled to set up World Fundraisers. If you would like to use this feature, please email email@example.com and request that they turn on the functionality for you.
Choose your title and search and select your beneficiary nonprofits.
Click on the "Your selected nonprofits" tab to see the nonprofits that you have chosen. Select the option "By Country" to split the donations by country rather than by percentage.
One nonprofit must be the "default beneficiary" who will receive donations from countries where there is not a nonprofit participating in the campaign. Usually this will be the nonprofit who is leading the appeal. In the example below this is Save the Children UK. There are 10 Save the Children members partcipating in the example campaign. Donations made outside these 10 countries will benefit the Save the Children UK. Donors can, if they wish, choose a different country/nonprofit from the one automaticaly presented to them.
Next you can choose various fundraiser options. Setting a target will give you a progress bar showing donations.
Hidden Fundraisers: You can set up your fundraiser as hidden so that it's not searchable on the ammado site and can unhide it at anytime.
Your fundraiser is now ready to accept donations. You will find further details on management of your fundraiser and promotion via the Giving Widget, Facebook and donate buttons in the latter half of this article.
Should you have any questions on World Fundraisers plese contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will be happy to help!
Best of luck with your fundraising!
When disaster hits and your company wants to help, it’s crucial to set up a quick solution for your employees around the world. One of the challenges is that no one knows in advance where the disaster occurs and what its scope will be. ammado has been working intensely with leading aid agencies over the last 2 years to enable the first global, instant and tax-efficient disaster relief solution for companies. It’s now ready to go and some of the world’s most prominent companies have extensively piloted the so-called World Fundraiser and signed up to it. Reactions ranged from ‘The feedback we had to this format is excellent – we love it’ to ‘this solution is too god to be true!’
Why your company should consider this solution:
Legislation in most countries around the world states that a donor only gets a tax receipt when donating to a non-profit in their own country. This is tricky if you want to involve your global employee base. Let’s assume that you decide to benefit one of the leading aid agencies such as Care International, the Red Cross or Save the Children. All of these charities have federated structures with national chapters around the world.
Which chapter to choose as the beneficiary? You could choose the chapter in the country where the disaster occurred but as none or only a portion of your employees might be based in that country, only those who are based there would get a tax receipt. Or you choose the chapter in the country where your company is headquartered. This would ensure that more employees get a tax receipt but if you are a multinational it would still leave a significant percentage of your employees without a tax receipt. Another downside of both scenarios is that the local chapter probably doesn’t speak the languages of all your employees which makes it difficult for the aid agency to follow up with any donors outside its own country. To avoid these scenarios, all large nonprofits have established local chapters around the world and the general rule of all the large federated nonprofits is that local money should go to local chapters i.e. US money should go to the American chapter, German money to the German chapter, Japanese money to the Japanese chapter etc. This is also the most beneficial set-up for every donor and in times where global solutions are gaining importance, most of the leading aid agencies have now adopted a global, donor-centric strategy.
This is how the World Fundraiser works:
Once disaster hits, either you, ammado or the aid agency of your choice set up a fundraiser specific to your company on ammado (which only takes a few minutes).
We then check with you and the aid agency
- which national chapters participate in the appeal
- which national chapters are registered on ammado (while a mandatory requirement, it is free and simple for each chapter to register)
- which of these national chapters are relevant to you i.e. in which of these countries do you have employees
We then simply add these national chapters to your fundraiser. You can now send the link of your fundraiser to all your employees or you can take the Giving Widget code and embed it on your company intranet to facilitate donations right there and then.
Once an employee e.g. from Japan accesses the widget either on ammado or on the company intranet, the employee sees the widget
- Pre-populated with the beneficiary (e.g. ‘company X disaster relief fund’)
- in Japanese (ammado today supports 12 languages)
- with YEN pre-populated as the relevant currency
- with the most relevant Japanese payment methods prominently displayed
Once the donation has been made, the employee is being told that his donation will be channelled through the Japanese national chapter of the aid agency. If the employee is from Germany, she sees the widget in German, with Euro pre-populated, the most relevant local German payment methods prominently displayed and with the money being channelled through the German chapter etc.
And all the while the company has one real-time consolidated online fundraising statement showing them how much they have raised in total and allowing them to drill down by country, currency etc.
After the donation process, the donor can immediately request a tax receipt from the aid agency and as many of the national chapters have outsourced the tax receipting to us, the donor does not only get a tax receipt immediately emailed to them, but can avail of a full donation and receipt management area on ammado.
Please note that while a significant number of national chapters of leading aid agencies are today participating in this program and new ones are joining on an ongoing basis, there might always be chapters in countries where you have employees which currently don’t participate in this World Fundraiser. In this case you can always choose to add another aid agency in this country (which means that you could theoretically have a mix of the Red Cross, UNHCR, CARE International, World Vision and local relief agencies in your fundraiser while still receiving one consolidated live donation report!) – or you just invite any missing national chapters to register on ammado.
Here is some feedback from Nokia Siemens who utilized ammado for the first time during the Japan disaster, supporting the Red Cross and Save the Children:
“Nokia Siemens Networks partnered with ammado to coordinate donation efforts towards the Japan disaster relief. The set up was done promptly by the team and within several hours employees in Asia Pacific could start donating. I personally found ammado’s platform very easy to use and perfect for what we needed as a global company.
ammado is an amazing engagement platform and provides excellent service to the greater good of society. I highly recommend ammado to all companies who want to easily and efficiently coordinate all their local or global donation campaigns.”
Nokia Siemens Networks
Head of HR Services (Operational Excellence) Asia Pacific
This solution is probably one of the biggest innovations in the non-profit sector in recent years and we thank the aid agencies who have helped us in developing this with the aim to make this solution available to every employee around the world.
If you are interested in availing of this solution, let us know today and we can register you in advance.
November 1, 2012 TRUiST announced today its partnership with global donation technology provider, ammado AG, to bolster the strength of TRUiST’s leading corporate philanthropy solutions. With this new partnership in place, TRUiST’s existing and new corporate clients can engage employees across multinational offices through workplace giving and matching campaigns powered by TRUiST’s Workplace and Disaster Response solutions.
February 21, 2012 YourCause, LLC announces their new partnership with ammado AG, leaders in global online donations, which will provide multinational corporations the ability to offer equal programs to all employees in all offices within CSRconnect. Integration with ammado delivers multinational clients and their employees the option to donate to more than 5,000 non-US organizations using one of 78 currencies and 30 additional credit card payment methods. Now companies can cater to regional office locations by offering country specific charities, currency, payment methods and tax receipts.
September 24, 2009 At the Clinton Global Initiative the introduction of Powered By Service was announced. Powered By Service is a youth activism and grant program presented by Usher's New Look (a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization). ammado is excited to be the platform that will support this international call to service, as it is the only site that supplies the tools necessary to support online campaigning, fundraising and communication on a global level.
July 30, 2009 ammado proudly announces partnership with Globoforce.
June 15, 2009 Nominated by Morgan Stanley, ammado’s recognition heralds a new position for this Irish company as one of the organizations leading the global IT revolution.
June 12, 2009 You can be a hero on ammado with peer to peer fundraising.
March 31, 2009 An encouraging start to 2009 for ammado with esteemed international recognition for its work.
January 09, 2009 Francis Veldeman new Managing Director for Europe, Middle East and Africa.
December 04, 2008 Internet community launches global online giving solutions for companies.
September 22, 2008 Terry Alan Farris new Head of Global Strategy - Terry Alan Farris, the former Head of Philanthropy Services for UBS AG Asia-Pacific, joined Irish internet company ammado as Head of Global Strategy.
September 09, 2008 Internet community revolutionises online giving – ammado, the global online community of people who care, launches today with its innovative donation feature the ammado giving circle. The ammado giving circle makes the act of giving fun and flexible for users. It also taps in to a huge unleashed potential of online giving enabling people for the first time ever to make micro donations to nonprofits from all over the world.
January 28, 2013 Ammado – which is the world leader in global donations and only utilizes the latest available technologies for its donation solutions – has now created a fully automated company giving solution that is totally free for companies. It is called ‘CSR in a box’ as it really gives a company everything it needs in a nice, comprehensive package.
February 12, 2012 Following the trend towards global platforms for raising money, such as Kickstarter, Ammado, which connects charities with donors, has raised €7m, and signed up several multinational partners.
March 9, 2010 Hubertus von Lobenstein, ehemaliger CEO von TBWA, meldet sich mit eigener Agentur zurück. Startkunde der Düsseldorfer Agentur ist www.ammado.com, die der Neugründung das Marketing anvertraut hat.
October 04, 2009 Gavin Daly reports on the success of employee motivation and rewards firm Globoforce and their 'very important partnership' with ammado.
August 28, 2009 Christopher Lim reports for The Business Times on how charities are using the web to bolster funding—ammado’s work with companies and fundraising successes are highlighted heavily.
April 28, 2009 ammado is featured in the “Spotlight on Membership” section of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Newsletter.
April 21, 2009 Thomas Keefe of International Association of Business Communicators Social Responsibility Link talks to Peter Conlon and Dr Anna Kupka of the benefits of ammado.
March 20, 2009 The Irish Times announces ammado as one of the seven firms shortlisted for the second annual Irish Technology Leadership Group (ITLG)/ Irish Times innovation award.
March, 2009 ammado co-founder, Dr Anna Kupka, speaks to the German Fundraising Magazine, "Fundraiser".
December, 2008 Head of Global Strategy, Terry Farris, speaks to the Shanghai Business review about ammado in China and the potential of Chinese donors for charities.
December 4, 2008 John Kennedy of the Irish Independent, talks to ammado co-founder Peter Conlon about bringing meaning to social networking through micro-philanthropy.
November 23, 2008 Sunday Times Mark Paul interviews ammado founder Peter Conlon.
November 20, 2008 Steve Mollman talks to ammado’s Joeri Gianotten about ammado and the giving circle as he looks at a new breed of social networking sites emerging.
October 31, 2008 ammado director and co-founder, Dr. Anna Kupka speaks to the Irish Times on ammado's activities in the Asia-Pacific region and ammado's recent trip to China as part of the Enterprise Ireland trade mission to China
October 25, 2008 ammado features in The Irish Times magazine's "What's hot and what's not" list
September 7, 2008 Peter Conlon and Dr Anna Kupka speak in an exclusive to Gavin Daly, Sunday Business Post on the unveiling of The ammado giving circle.
August 14, 2008 UNHCR hail ammado’s work – Stephen O’Brien talks to Peter Conlon of ammado and Manuel Jordao of UNHCR on the success of the ammado World Refugee Day campaign and ammado’s future plans.
August 2, 2008 Joeri Gianotten of ammado speaks to Erwin Oliva of Enquirer.net on how social networks can be used as effective means to raise funds and attract potential donors worldwide.
July 20, 2008 Hardboiled Magazine’s Kimberley Olsen interviews ammado founder Dr Anna Kupka in their Philanthropist of the Month section for July.
June 1, 2008 ‘The appetite for social networking sites is truly insatiable. The latest newcomer with a twist is ammado’ writes Michael Ryan of The DCU Times.
May 23, 2008 John Collins of the Irish Times (irishtimes.com) writes on ammado’s support of the UNHCR’s World Refugee Day 2008 and how the UNHCR is using ammado to raise awareness of the plight of refugees worldwide.
December 12, 2007 ‘The time that charities raised money by showing tear jerking pictures and telling sad stories, seems to slowly fade away, ’says Diederik Heinink of ADB Magazine.
November 11, 2007 The Irish Software Association announce the winners of their 2007 annual awards. Here is some news coverage of the event from Dick O’Brien of The Sunday Business Post.
October 28, 2007 Sunday Times Mark Paul profiles a yet un-launched ammado. He includes news of ammado’s partnership with The Resource Alliance and ammado’s nomination for new company of the year award by the Irish Software Association.
October 10, 2007 Emma Rigby of Third Sector reports that the Resource Alliance will use ammado to inform and encourage networking between delegates of its International Fundraising Conference in the Netherlands
· 30 March, 2011 ammado COO Colum Twomey speaks at Fundraising Ireland conference
· 25-26 November, 2009 Founder and CEO of ammado Peter Conlon speaks at The 3rd Annual CR Reporting Summit UK 2009. Please contact Catherine Weadick for more information.
· 8 July, 2009 Founder and CEO of ammado Peter Conlon guest blogs for The Case Foundation. Please click here for more information: http://www.casefoundation.org/blog/international-perspective-csr
· 11-12 May, 2009 Peter Conlon speaks at the 8th Annual Responsible Business Summit on How to build value into NGO business partnerships. Please contact Catherine Weadick for more information.
· 1-9 May, 2009 Kelly Weiss speaks at the Chicago Global Donors Network for a conference entitled: Global U Technology NOW! Capacity Building Workshop for Diaspora Donors. Please contact Kelly Weiss for more information.
· 26-28 April, 2009 Barbara Kelly presents "Voices From Abroad: The Best in Nonprofit Technology in Today’s Global Community" with representatives from Accenture, Give2Asia and Samasource at the Nonprofit Technology Conference in San Francisco. Please contactBarbara Kelly for further information.
· March 29-1 April, 2009 ammado’s U.S. team participates at the 46th AFP International Conference on Fundraising in New Orleans, Louisiana and presents Distinguished Speaker Reynold Levy. Please contact Barbara Kelly for further information.
· March 12, 2009 ammado co-founder, Peter Conlon, presents "Building a global business in an internet age" as part of the University College London’s Department of Management Science and Innovation, Advances guest lecture series.
· February 6,2009 Terry Farris presents "Leveraging Web-Based Social Media for Your Company's Success in the Global Marketplace", Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Chicago, USA. Please contact Kelly Weiss for further information.
· January 12, 2009 President Barack Obama launches a new website - www.usaservice.org - to encourage volunteerism and community service work. ammado was chosen as one of the other service opportunities listed on the site.
· November 21, 2008 ammado’s Heather Smith Xie presents "Social Entrepreneurs in Hong Kong: Bridging the Gap between Business and Social Needs" at the International Symposium on Social Entrepreneurship & Social Change, Hong Kong. Please contact Heather Smith Xiefor further information.
· November 01-02, 2008 ammado founders, Peter Conlon and Dr. Anna Kupka, speak at Vision Summit 2008 at Freie Universität, Berlin. Please contact Nina Gritzky for further information.
· October 20, 2008 Michelle McMahon presents "Web 2.0 as a tool to building Communications, Community, and Capital" at the NCVO Collaborative Working Conference, London. Please contact Michelle McMahon for further information.
· October 17, 2008 Barbara Kelly presents "Innovation, Interaction and Successful Internet Fundraising" at the NativityMiguel Network of Schools, Washington D.C. Please contact Barbara Kelly for further information.
· October 10, 2008 Peter Conlon and Dr. Anna Kupka present on "How to communicate CSR" at the 3rd International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility, Humboldt University Berlin. Please contact Nina Gritzky for further information.
· September 24, 2008 "New Media in Fundraising: using ammado.com" is presented by our Asia team at theMicrosoft NGO Day, Cebu, Philippines. Please contact Joeri Gianotten for further information.
· September 15, 2008 Joeri Gianotten presents "ammado - an open platform to engage organisations and individuals to further your cause" at the Open Everything Conference in Singapore. Please contact Joeri Gianotten for further information.
· September 2-3, 2008 The ammado team attends this year’s Venture Fundraising Conference, Manila. Please contact Joeri Gianotten for further information.
· July, 2008 Joeri Gianotten presents "New Media in Fundraising: using ammado.com" at the Microsoft NGO Day, Manila, Philippines. Please contact Joeri Gianotten for further information.
· June, 2008 ammado’s Barbara Kelly presents "Leveraging Web 2.0 sites and Online Marketing to recruit Volunteers" at The National Volunteering Conference, Atlanta, Georgia. Please contact Barbara Kelly for further information.
· June, 2008 Barbara Kelly presents "Innovation, Interaction and the Future of the Nonprofit Community" at The National Nonprofit Congress, Washington DC. Please contactBarbara Kelly for further information.
· May, 2008 Michelle McMahon presents "Digital Storytelling for a societal change" at the Shine Unconference, London. Please contact Michelle McMahon for further information.
· May, 2008 Monica Salvitti presents "Utilizing Social Networks for Fundraising and Communication" at the Fundraising Festival, Emilia Romagna, Italy. Please contact Monica Salvitti for further information.
· May, 2008 Joe Newell of ammado presents "ammado – a global online community of people who care" at Irish Internet Association Congress 2008, Dublin, Ireland. Download the podcast.
· April, 2008 Joeri Gianotten of ammado moderates a workshop "Social networking and Web 2.0" atEconomist CIO Agenda Asia-Pacific, Shanghai, China. Please contact Joeri Gianotten for further information.
· February, 2008 Catherine Weadick and Maylon Mahon of ammado present "ammado – A Communications Tool for your Nonprofit Organisation" at Enclude’s Open IT Conference, Dublin, Ireland. Please contact Catherine Weadick for further information.
· December, 2011Finalist for Enterprise of the Year, Business and Finance Awards
· March, 2011Irish Times Innovation Awards - Winner Service Innovation category
· April, 2010: Honored as one of 2009's 100 most innovative companies in "No Apples - 100 Other Top Innovators"
· April, 2009 Winners of the 2009 Irish Technology Leadership Group (ITLG)/Irish Times Innovation Award
· March, 2009 Red Herring Europe 100, Berlin, Germany - Top 100 Technology Companies 2009
· March, 2009 Nominated by Morgan Stanley for the Computerworld Honors Program 2009
· January, 2009 Finalist of the Global CSR Awards 2009
· November, 2008 Golden Spider Award 2008 - Best Social Networking and Community Website finalist
· April, 2008 All Ireland Marketing Awards - International Marketing Finalist
· March, 2008 Red Herring Europe 100, Malta, Spain - Finalist Top 100 Technology Companies 2008
· November, 2007 Irish Software Association Software Industry Awards - New Company of the Year 2007
· October 2011 Gold Sponsor International Fundraising Congress
· November 2010 Sponsor German Sustainability Award
· May 21, 2009 Innovate Now! Summit, Chicago IL, USA.
· May 11-12, 2009 Co-sponsor of The 8th Annual Responsible Business Summit, Business Design Centre, London, UK
· March 29-April 1, 2009 Proud sponsor of the 46th Association of Fundraising Professionals International Conference on Fundraising, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
· November 3-4, 2008 CSR Asia, Bangkok, Thailand.
· November 4-6, 2008 World Toilet Summit, Hong Kong.
· November 20-21, 2008 Asian Forum on CSR, Singapore
· June, 2008 UNHCR World Refugee Day 2008
· May, 2008 IWRM, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
· February, 2008 International Fundraising Conference New Frontiers, Perth, Australia
· October, 2007 International Fundraising Congress, Noordwijk, Netherlands